Friday, July 3, 2009

Neurosurgery!

SUPER busy week! I went with Philip's old friend, Dr. C in Neurosurgery this week. He's very busy and runs through the hospital on rounds, and then down into surgery. I scrubbed in on 7 surgeries so far and have learned to staple wounds, use a scalpel, suction, remove bone, etc. I am only allowed to do non-dangerous things, so it doesn't make me nervous and I'm really glad I've been able to learn so much. So far, it's been much busier and much more hands on than previous weeks.
Today, I woke up at 6am for a pituitary tumor removal surgery scheduled at 7 am and kept going (with no break) until 2:30pm, then an hour break and onwards for a few more hours. Whew!

I'm definitely enjoying myself; I can't believe I only have one week left at Changhua.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, that is wonderful. So glad you hung in there for the good stuff to roll in. We miss you and we know we will see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude - that picture totally looks like a scene from E.R. and you are the star. AWESOME!!! Being a surgeon looks cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and pituitary tumor removal! I know someone who has had that surgery. (Hint - you do too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha,
    Not sure I recognized YOU in the picture the first time. Wow! We miss you

    ReplyDelete