Saturday, June 13, 2009

Short update and catch-up on photos

Friday, I went with the head of the Family Medicine department and a nurse to do the Hospice home care rounds. We saw two elderly cancer patients, both of whom lived at home with their families and seemed well taken care of. Doctors in Taiwan still do home visits for many patients and it was interesting to see the procedure. The environment seemed friendlier vis-a-vis a clinical visit, which I think must definitely make it easier on the patients.


Here are a few other photos from last week:

My dad and RV during our bike ride through Kaoshiung:



The train station for the high speed train that took us from Kaoshiung to Taipei in 1.5 hours (verses the 8 hours it used to take my dad when he was a child).




This is a normal train station (not the high speed one) that you usually take between cities:

Here are some photos from THIS week:
This is the hospital at which I work:


Here is my dormitory; it's made for 4 but so far I am the only one. You have to bring your own "mattress," which is essentially about an inch and half of padding topped by bamboo slats that you can buy at the local store. I'm getting used to it. :)

This is the view from my room:


The most famous site to see in Changhua is definitely the Great Buddha, which is a huge statue of Buddha atop a hill in the middle of the city. Surrounding the Buddha is a very peaceful park with temples and coi ponds.



I wish you all a pleasant weekend. I'm going to Changhua's largest night market tonight with a friend I met this past week; she's picking me up on her motor scooter. Should be fun!

2 comments:

  1. my wife is a biker !
    did you bring your leather boots and leather jacket for the motorcycle trip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun!!!! So fun we can all follow you as you experience everything. YAY

    ReplyDelete